[vorbis] file(1) support for Ogg and Ogg/Vorbis

Beni Cherniavksy cben at techunix.technion.ac.il
Wed Feb 6 06:11:50 PST 2002

Short answer: get file-3.37, don't know about earlier ones.  Shows
bitrate, chanels and more, you can uncomment tons of things in the magic
file, which see.  It beats the mp3 support...

On 2002-02-05, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> Håvard Kvålen (havardk at netcom.no) wrote:
> > Paul de Weerd <paul at mail.me.maar.nu> writes:
>
> > > $ file */*.ogg | grep 01
> > > Busta Rhymes - Genesis/01 Intro.ogg:                          data
>
> > $ file b.ogg
> > b.ogg: Ogg-Vorbis compressed sound file
> > $ file -v
> > file-3.35
>
> Debian unstable does this:
>
> $ file Tori\ Amos\ -\ Sister\ Janet.ogg
> Tori Amos - Sister Janet.ogg: Ogg bitstream data (maybe Ogg Vorbis compressed au
>
> (Yes, it actually truncates at 80 columns, even if I manually set COLUMNS
> higher than that.)  Here's the entry from /usr/share/misc/magic:
>
> # From Felix von Leitner <leitner at fefe.de>
> 0	string		OggS	Ogg bitstream data (maybe Ogg Vorbis compressed audio)

Yes, this is the info I found in file-3.34, I think, when I wrote a much
better.  See below.

> Apparently, getting any information about the Vorbis stream requires some
> non-trivial operations that aren't suitable (perhaps not even possible)
> for the magic(5) format.  But I'd be delighted to be proved wrong.

Mostly everything is possible in degenerate vorbis files (or on the
first stream if it is vorbis).  The only thing not at fixed offsets (or
computable with file(1)'s limited indirection support) were the comments
(but the number of comments is possible).

An extensive vorbis magic I wrote was sent to Christos Zoulas
<christos at astron.com> - the current magic maintainer, if you know
other magic databases (and their maintainers) tell me.

It's already there in the last 3.37 version, maybe earlier ones too. Get
the source from
        ftp://ftp.astron.com/pub/file
(you will find the vorbis magic in the `magdir/vorbis' file).

Look at the magic file - you can uncomment much more things than shown by
default!

I'm going to update it with some later vendor strings (commented out
by default anyway) as soon as I get some free time between my comming exam
session...

                 (also scben at t2 in Technion)

Best way to lose ~6GB music and other personal files: create a roaming
profile on another computer pointing to your My Documents instead of your
profile dir; logon - it won't find your settings; so logout - it will be
"saving your settings" very long time because it is busy deleting all
unrecognized things in your directory.  [Personally experienced on win2k].