[vorbis] Re: some weird filename related error

Martin Blackwell djdij at handbags.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Dec 27 10:30:28 PST 2002

Heres the thing- the filename works when i rename the file.

heres a relatively full explanation of how it happened:

1) used CDex 1.5 beta 8 (modified version) to encode from a cd.
2) the filename was really long
3) CDex refused to create the Vorbis file
4) Winamp 2.81 refused to create the Vorbis file
5) Winamp 2.81 succesfully created the Wave file (and added an extra "001_"
to the begining of the filename)
6) OggDropXPd 1.6 beta 13 refused to create the Vorbis file
7) Rebooted, then moved the vorbis file around in MS-DOS
8) Got back into windows, the filename was changed to the MS-DOS name
9) used OggDrop succesfully
10) found out the maximum length of windows filenames is stupid

Not so much an error, more of short sighted planning on the part of
Microsoft