[vorbis] Is this just anti-Ogg FUD?

Jem lists03 at pc9.org
Thu Dec 26 10:51:32 PST 2002

I was recently talking to a friend of mine who produces what's widely
referred to as "techno", music that's heavy on electronically generated
loops and effects, samples, and has plenty of bass.

He doesn't like ogg for a few reasons - he sent me a rather long email, and
I've stripped out the nonsense from it (he has some technically irrelevant
reasons for not liking ogg) but he also made some claims that I wanted to
follow-up on.

I've modified his email and included the points below. Each paragraph is a
claim. I would very much appreciate some public discussion. Is there truth
to his claims? Thoughts?

-- start of email --

Ogg has to this day, fundemental problems with low frequency encoding.
Sometimes refered to as "pre-echo aliasing" ... it is something that is a
problem for music (primarly electronic which is why I don't use it) with
low end bass and subsonics. If you have the ability to test this on a
proper sound system, you will hear it dead out. Most people don't realise
that you need a certain amount of distance from the generation source to
your ear for the bass wave to resonate correctly. This is why sometimes
when you are at a rave and you could be 10 feet from the bass bins and
there is very little bass, but you step back 20 feet and its knocking you
on your ass. This same principle holds with headphones. You are not
typically going to get the "subsonics" out of it listening to the files on
headphones. It may sound slightly out of tune, or out of phase. Good head
phone definitely help, but even high end sony's like the MDR-7506's and the
MDJ-700s are only just able to produce the subsonics effectively to hear
it.

[Ogg is not free from patents.] The entire concept of a phsychoacustical
model or a perceptual model for endcoding the material (not just the
encoding step itself) is covered under at least 50 different patents by
companies world wide, and rightfully so ... Not only can you patent the
process of encoding the file, but the principles of how you get there. Why?
Because they are novel ideas, and obvious which is what patents are for.
They are just "creative enough" to warrant protection by government, and
frankly I have no problems with it having patents myself relating to next
generation video streaming technology and systems which relate to digital
cinema.

However, the second that someone starts making "serious" amounts of money
off of Ogg, you can bet the patent lawyers will be on Xiph faster then a
fat kid on a smartie.

[Ogg is too little, too late.] There are audio and video encoding systems
coming out in the next year that will futher push the envelope without
comprimise and many of those are based completely on wavelets which is
really where Ogg should have gone in the first place ...