[vorbis] Bzip2 & Ogg Vorbis

Segher Boessenkool segher at koffie.nl
Tue Dec 24 16:45:35 PST 2002

HJ wrote:

> > wrote a rough, hackerware tool to recalculate the optimal codes on
> > an
> > existing file, and I think they got results similar to yours
> > (though maybe
> > bzip2 does a bit better).
>
> Segher Bossenkool (sp?) did, but Segher's been kinda quiet recently.

You spelt my name almost correctly!

And I'm never quiet, sometimes I'm absent, though.

>  Search the archives for 'rehuff', or thereabouts.  Work has
> presumably stopped or gone back underground for further tweakage
> amidst other Dark Arts.  :D

It's doing more stuff now: instead of only regenerating the huffman
codes, it creates totally new codebooks/modes.  My main obstacle at
the moment is the fact that the Vorbis format allows only 255 different
codebooks :(

Segher