[vorbis] Bzip2 & Ogg Vorbis

Olaf van der Spek Vorbis at XCC.TMFWeb.NL
Tue Dec 24 02:03:16 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Morton" <jwm at plain.co.nz>
To: <vorbis at xiph.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 24, 2002 12:48 AM
Subject: Re: [vorbis] Bzip2 & Ogg Vorbis

>  Hi,
>
>  I've got some (seven) Ogg Vorbis files with a total size of 18637246
> bytes. When I use bzip2 to compress these files, the total size is
> 16949443. That's 10% less.
>
>  Is bzip2 supposed to be able to compress Ogg Vorbis files further?
>  If not, are these files encoded with wrong settings?
>  If so, why is there no option to use bzip2 with Ogg Vorbis by default?

I gather that the story is that the library uses good approximations to the
optimal Huffman codes for that phase of compression, so that it can do
everything in one pass - obviously a desirable thing for streaming.

I think the majority of encoding is not done with or does not require
streaming.

> Someone
wrote a rough, hackerware tool to recalculate the optimal codes on an
existing file, and I think they got results similar to yours (though maybe
bzip2 does a bit better).

John