[vorbis] Is this just anti-Ogg FUD?

Martin Blackwell djdij at handbags.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Dec 26 13:42:30 PST 2002

> Jem wrote:
> > to his claims? Thoughts?
>
> I´ll give it a shot. :)

Me too

> > Ogg has to this day, fundemental problems with low frequency encoding.
> > Sometimes refered to as "pre-echo aliasing" ... it is something that is
>
> I know what he aims for, but personally I haven´t found this problem. I
> mostly listen to EBM, synth and so on and I haven´t been able to tell
> the diffrence from the CD. What quallity is he encoding in?
> I´ve tested OGG in "disco/club" enviroments as well with
> studioequipment. Sure you can tell that there are artifacts, anything
> else would be a lie. But not nearly as much as in MP3.

I have used both MP3 and Vorbis in a disco/club environment through both old
(3 to 5 year old PA equipment built into the venue) and new (Digi001 & TOA
PA system) sound equipment. Nobody notices any difference with the digital
medium- with the exception of the lecturers, who noticed something unrelated
(i left the EAX normaliser on by accident). If you are bothered about a
audio format losing precious data, use a lossless one, or make your own (or
donate lots of money to people like Xiph lots of money and ask them nicely
to make you one).
PS- noone cares- they're all drunk anyway (i will upload picture examples
from the next gig i do)

> Can´t comment on this due to lack of knowledge.

Neither can I, but to paraphrase whichever person it was who did that speach
on patent law, "patents are stupid ideas"

> > [Ogg is too little, too late.] There are audio and video encoding
systems

> No, it is certanly not. There is really no collected effort in the open
> source/free software movement for a free multimedia platform other than
> OGG that I am aware of. None that have come this far anyway.
> It is important to have a free option for all heavely patented formats
> out there.
> Remember that many gamedevelopers and online radiostations has begun to
> use OGG. The main thing OGG lacks right now is a hardware decoder (read
> portable audio system).

Theres an Ogg project that uses wavelets somewhere (Tarkin i think) so i
shouldn't think it'd be too (relatively) difficult for Xiph to rollout a
wavelet based audio codec

> Hopefully this will give you a hand, even though things like quallity is
> quite biased and personal.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Andreas Karlsson

If you are bothered by loss of audio quality then you shouldn't be touching
lossy audio- go for lossless audio. formats like Monkeys Audio, FLAC,
Shorten & Wavepack. If it wasn't for the lack of HD space & the fact that
the average consumer can't tell the difference between CD Audio & Vorbis,
then i would've gone for lossless audio. But i havent- i just deleted all
the crap mp3s i had.