[vorbis] Is this just anti-Ogg FUD?

gtgbr at gmx.net gtgbr at gmx.net
Thu Dec 26 13:43:36 PST 2002

Andreas Karlsson wrote:
> I´ve tested OGG in "disco/club" enviroments as well with
> studioequipment. Sure you can tell that there are artifacts, anything
> else would be a lie. But not nearly as much as in MP3.

Artifacts are easily audible bugs, and I haven't encountered any in
Vorbis for a long time. What you're referring to are "differences". See
http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/doc/vorbis-fidelity.html

> > [Ogg is not free from patents.] The entire concept of a phsychoacustical
> Can´t comment on this due to lack of knowledge.

I believe this is simple, silly and unfounded FUD. I have enough
confidence in the AOL lawyers that Vorbis is free from patents,
otherwise there would be no Vorbis support in Winamp. Also, the Xiph.org
guys did lots of patent reseach prior making their claim of being patent
free.