[vorbis] had a thought on peeling last night

Shawn Riley roleypup at samford.net
Tue Dec 24 09:10:04 PST 2002

I wrote-
>> I meant was for the server to do the peeling instead - pass the "base"
>streams
>> through, then cause the peeler on the server to break bits off one of the end
>> of the "reconstitution" streams to adjust for the bandwidth.

Daniel wrote-
>-snip-
>Don't know if it actually could work...depends on the internal format of Vorbis
>and the "peel-addons".

If these are separate streams multiplexed / multi channels, I think that somewhere within the OGG stream would need to be something telling the decoder how to add all the Vorbis streams/channels together, instead of having it play the first & silently ignore the rest.
Possibly an ASCII comment tag could be used to instruct the decoder, also so it's immediately obvious to the listeners what form the stream is in (& possibly so they can stuff around with it if they feel compelled to).
The docs are help me understand these ideas, but there's still a lot to read.

- Shawn