[vorbis] stupid cd player mod question

John Morton jwm at plain.co.nz
Tue Dec 10 15:19:08 PST 2002

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 11:59, Martin Blackwell wrote:
> 1) Anyone have an idea on how to achieve the auto playing of a cd, and
> playing/searching/selecting/creating/ playlists without a monitor
> attatched, and only with a simple LCD screen available?

Poll the cd drive, like the cdda plugin for xmms does.

> 2) other question- auto boot to a GUI OS & run software, or stay in command
> line OS such as DOS, UNIX etc.

Go with a unix that starts up the software that does the interface work with
the LCD screen and set of inputs.

> 3) since i plan to have it looking like a stereo system & not a desk/lap
> top, would a easily accesible external monitor output & keyboard input be
> advised, or leave it inside the case, available only to repair/debug in
> case it nacks up?

Might as well. Maybe it would be nice to make it look like a stereo component,
but on the other hand why restrict yourself to that interface, if you can
come up with something better? If I had an ogg player in a car, I'd like to
be able to toggle replaygain and crossfade settings, amongst other things.

> Finally, is there any command line software available that is up to
> some/all of the job allready?

You know, this is getting _way_ off topic for this list. Given that there
have been dozens of similar projects discussed on Slashdot and other tech
news forums over the years, I expect you can just google for this stuff.

John