[vorbis] Is this just anti-Ogg FUD?

Brandon High armitage at freaks.com
Thu Dec 26 14:30:10 PST 2002

On Thu, Dec 26, 2002 at 10:42:05PM +0100, gtgbr at gmx.net wrote:
> Jem wrote:
> > Ogg has to this day, fundemental problems with low frequency encoding.
> > Sometimes refered to as "pre-echo aliasing" ... it is something that is a
> > problem for music (primarly electronic which is why I don't use it) with
>
> First of all, I have no clue what this guy is talking about. "Pre-echo
> aliasing", whee ... examples please. Because lateron he rants about
> subsonics getting lost, which, are not audible/easily masked by any

I think I have an idea of what he's referring to.

If you have the correct speaker spacing, and are standing in the correct
spot, the sound waves from multiple sources will combine and reinforce
each other. This includes subsonics.

I've totally forgotten what this is called, but this is the only
explanation that I can think of.

Using a quality rating that does joint stereo might cancel the effect.
My guess is that the too low of a setting was used and joint stereo was
enabled.

-B

Brandon High                                     armitage at freaks.com
'98 Kawi ZX-7R "Wasabi", '98 Kawi EX500 "Harlot", '02 BMW R1150RS "Troll"
Honk if you love peace and quiet.