[vorbis] had a thought on peeling last night

Alex Iribarren ogg at iribarren.com
Sat Dec 21 05:59:55 PST 2002

Hi,
Well, I'm not authoritative on this subject, but from what I understand,
this wouldn't work because the result of encoding a sound file is not
linear. What this means is that a q10 file is not just a q9 file with
some extra data. Or to explain it a different way, a q9 file is not a
subset of a q10 file.

I thought of something similar a while back (check the June 2001
archives). My idea was that you could stream, for example, a q1 file and
in a different stream all the peeled-off information that would turn the
q1 stream into a q2 stream. I was told this was not possible because a
q2 file is not just a q1 file with extra bits.

Alex