[vorbis] docs question

Haas Wernfried w.haas at xover.htu.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Dec 4 14:32:01 PST 2002

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 10:44:20PM +0100, gtgbr at gmx.net wrote:
> Yes, since --help doesn't mention --managed, the help-text is obviously
> wrong.
any developer reading this or should it be reported somewhere else (-dev)?

> [..] You can also
> select the quality level based on the nominal bitrate, just don't be
> surprised if some quite different bitrate comes out in the end - this is
> still full VBR. E.g. if you choose -b 112, this would equal -q 3 on
> 44.1kHz/stereo input.
thanks for the explanation, i am trying to encode something at 64 kbps
and as i now know that -b 64 works equally to setting a quality and does not
enable --managed i don't need to play around trying different -q switches :)

> If you want to use average bitrate encoding, with the bitrate management
> engine, you have to explicitly enable it with the --managed switch.
> --managed requires the -b switch, as we care about bitrates now. oggenc
> -b 112 --managed file.wav would encode file.wav with bitrate management
> and the goal of having a ~112kbps file in the end. Using bitrate
> management comes at the cost of lower quality and much longer encoding
> times, what you gain is more predictable file sizes.
no need for that, i just feared -b would enable it.

thanks a lot,
       wernfried

--
-> Fppmpppffpppmpfpffmffmppmpm Mfpmmmmmmfmm
-> fpp.mfpmmmmmmfmm at fpfppffpmmpppff.ppmfmfmpm.mmmfmp
-> mfpfmpfmppfm://fpfppffpmmpppff.ppmfmfmpm.mmmfmp/~mmmppmpppmpppppmffppfppp
-> http://www.namesuppressed.com/kenny/