[vorbis] OT - the "Dear Thompson Media" open letter.

Myles Buckley mylesb at conexsys.net
Tue Aug 27 18:33:24 PDT 2002

I must admit, reading this: http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/openletter.html
brought out the loudest laugh in quite some time.

My kids, hearing the hub-bub, gathered around the PC to see what I was
laughing at.  I *attempted* to explain the new mp3 licensing terms to
my youngest daughter.

I finally hit pay-dirt when I explained to my kids the bait-and-switch,
what Thompson Media is doing now, and what Unisys did back in the eighties.

My youngest daughter was *HORRIFIED* that it would take the equivalent of
10,000 weeks worth of her allowance (not factoring in the exchange rate)
to pay for *MINIMUM* license fee at 15000 USD for the hardware do-it-myself
mp3 decoders I built back in late 1999 for myself and some buddies.

Suffice it to say, I now have three more open-source zealots in the house,
and it was fun to watch my three kids destroy the reference board.

Good night to all - and have fun reading the slashdot link in the open
letter.  Lots of transcoding banter.

Myles Buckley
ps - the reference board was based on a overclocked 386 cpu - no possible
ogg decoding life for it.