[vorbis] Speex (was "further development")

Robert Michel Robert.Michel at post.rwth-aachen.de
Sun Aug 25 15:59:46 PDT 2002

Salve Keith,

> On a fast enough processor, speed of decoding may have
> no direct relation to latency (delay till sound begins).
> Quality comparison between a music codec and a speech
> codec is a tricky business.

As far as I understud Jan-Marc, Speex would be use
less CPU-time.
The frame from Speex is 20 ms long and it took an delay
of 34ms latency (This is "low delay" comparing with MP3
or ogg Vorbis).

But you are right a comparing test is neccessary to say
more.

> > Es gibt nicht Gutes, ausser mann tut es.
> > (There is no good without someone does it.)
>
> I know little German, but enough to know that sounds
> far better before translation to English.  But if
> you can figure out what it means, it is still true.

Upps, sorry for my bad english, my translation was
worser than babelfish.
Maybe this try is a little bit closer to the German sence:
"There are no good thinks in the world,
except (before) you will do it."

In 3 weeks I will have time to compare ogg Vorbis
and Speex for voices. If there still no website with
such a test, I will do it.

greetings,
rob