[vorbis] (?) streaming variable frame size - switching codec type

Robert Michel Robert.Michel at post.rwth-aachen.de
Sat Aug 24 13:58:57 PDT 2002

Salve,

a question in general:
it is possible to stream a variable bitrate,
is it possible build a player for a variable frame size, too?
Could a player also may be build to switch the codecs "on the fly"?

If a radiostation would save all audio material in wav or FLAC,
everthing is allright. But what if different codecs were used,
Speex for voice and Vorbis ogg for music?
Would it "technicaly" posible to develop server and player which could
handle a switching between these two codecs on the fly ?

This question does not belongs to "further development" and I would ask
myself, if such work would be usefull, but it would be technicaly smart,
and so I'm interested in you opinions if such would be possibel.

Have a nice weekend,
rob