[vorbis] managed mode / max bitrate doesn't have effect

Akos Maroy darkeye at tyrell.hu
Tue Aug 20 12:30:32 PDT 2002

Hi,

I'm experimenting with managed mode encoding with specifying maximum
bitrate. I call:

vorbis_encode_init( &vorbisInfo,
                     2,
                     44100,
                     -1,
                     96000,
                     96000);

to initialize the encoding. To my surprise, it seems the maxbitrate
value of 96000 doesn't have an effect, the bitrate of the generated
vorbis audio hovers around 96kb/s, going up to 105 kb/s every once in a
while. If I call

vorbis_encode_init( &vorbisInfo,
                     2,
                     44100,
                     96000,
                     96000,
                     96000);

than the bitrate will vary between 83 and 98 kb/s approx. (The data is
from XMMS as it displays the bitrate of the audio played.)

Am I missing something here, or are these soft upper and lower limits?