[vorbis] OggShell v1.0 released

Peter Harris peter.harris at hummingbird.com
Fri Aug 16 09:52:10 PDT 2002

> Here is one: on win2000, it doesn't seem to support unicode.  When I type
> in any non-english language into the tagging dialog, it inserts characters
in
> the deafult codepage.  You should change the gui controls to accept
unicode
> text and send utf-8 encoded strings to oggenc.  Only problem is that I'm
not
> sure that windows oggenc can receive utf-8 strings on command line (I'm
> afraid it expects current codepage)...

Actually, oggenc currently only takes characters in the ANSI code page
(where the ANSI code page is a different code page depending on which
language of Windows you installed). What a pain.

I have a patch that makes oggenc-rc3 take a UCS-16 (the kind of UNICODE that
is default in windows) command line. The problem is, it causes oggenc to not
work at all on Win9x/Me.

When I get a round tuit, I'll probably create a patch to oggenc that takes
UCS-16 on NT/2k/XP, but still uses the ANSI code page command line on 9x/Me.
It is quite possible to accept UCS-16 on 9x, but (a) I don't feel like
putting out the effort required, and (b) it's probably pointless, as 9x/Me
doesn't use UCS-16 natively, so you probably wouldn't get the results you
wanted anyway.

Anyone care to comment on this plan?

Peter Harris