[vorbis] OT: [vorbis-dev] DRM

Giuliano Pochini pochini at denise.shiny.it
Fri Aug 16 04:37:08 PDT 2002

> > > You've given up. That's almost as bad as not caring in the first place.
> > > Instead of complaining about democracy, I suggest using it - this is the
> > > only way it works anyways.
> >
> > Here's a good article I read this morning, sums it up pretty well:
> >
> > http://news.com.com/2010-1071-949275.html?tag=politech
> >
> > In a nutshell, I think we lost what the founding fathers viewed as
> > democracy a *long time ago in this country...
>
> So do what worked for crypto and open source - convince the industry that DRM
> is a waste of their investors money and that they have more to gain from
> allowing reverse engineering than prohibiting it. It might take a few years
> to get crap like the DMCA repealed, but it's not impossible. You just need to
> apply leverage in the right place.

You can't do that in this time, when money is becoming more and more
important than life every day. Surely things will change, this is only
one history cycle, like many other already happened. I don't know when,
but I can imagine how. New history cycles are usually triggered by
wars or revolutions.
I can only suggest to move ogg-vorbis as far as possible from
countries with such stupid (c) laws.