[vorbis] OT: [vorbis-dev] DRM

John Morton jwm at plain.co.nz
Tue Aug 13 18:20:19 PDT 2002

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002 09:54, Amy Schoenhofen wrote:

> > > What you, I and 99% of people believe count nothing. Democracy doesn't
> > > exist. Soon or later they will make illegal every open or free thing,
> >
> > You've given up. That's almost as bad as not caring in the first place.
> > Instead of complaining about democracy, I suggest using it - this is the
> > only way it works anyways.
>
> Here's a good article I read this morning, sums it up pretty well:
>
> http://news.com.com/2010-1071-949275.html?tag=politech
>
> In a nutshell, I think we lost what the founding fathers viewed as
> democracy a *long time ago in this country...

So do what worked for crypto and open source - convince the industry that DRM
is a waste of their investors money and that they have more to gain from
allowing reverse engineering than prohibiting it. It might take a few years
to get crap like the DMCA repealed, but it's not impossible. You just need to
apply leverage in the right place.

John