[vorbis] Stereo imaging

Shawn Riley roleypup at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 5 17:34:31 PDT 2002

Hi all.
I've been away for what seems like forever. So I see that 1.0 is out. Nice to see the adaptation
for low sample rates. Does that mean Vorbisenc has been modified to support them entirely? Or has
the warning just been suppressed because it was considered to be good enough already? Just matter
of interest, really.

There's just one thing that I have to criticise about release 1. I think it compresses the stereo
image far too aggressively & there's no way I could find stop it. (I always thought every MP3
codec's joint stereo mode sucked because of that. Use only a light stereo enhancement & suddenly
you've got the chirps.) One thing I want to use Vorbis for is to upload audio samples of my music
to my website so people can either jam along to it by muting the left channel, or hear the part by
muting the right. As you can tell, this requires either the stereo image to be encoded at the same
quality level as the main signal, or for the file to be encoded as independent dual channel. My
only solution at the current time is to go back to v0.9 because with v1 I feel that I have to be
using a quality level of 6 before I get decent stereo image encoding, which makes the files
unacceptably large for my purpose. Any ideas?

- Shawn