[vorbis] Tag Proposal -> Tag Standard

David Gasaway dave at gasaway.org
Thu Apr 25 12:57:40 PDT 2002

Erik Stenborg wrote:
> 2) I can't see any reason for having multiple fields with the same name.
> The example:
> ARTIST=Dizzy Gillespie
> ARTIST=Sonny Rollins
> ARTIST=Sonny Stitt
>
> is nothing I would be "jotting [as?] a quick note on the bottom of a CDR".
> Personally I would write "Performers: Dizzy Gillespie, Sonny Rollins and
> Sonny Stitt" - I would never repeat the word "performer" three times. For
> those who dont like "," as separator, there are several other to choose
> from in the character set, e.g.: CR, LF, CR+LF, FF, LSep, PSep etc... What
> is the purpose of having multiple fields with the same name?

Hmm, well...to make the data more managable.  I'd argue that it's also
more readable, but you might not agree.  Linefeeds could have the same
effect, but make implementation more difficult.

Very good question, though.  That is just what we arrived at after much
discussion.  :)

--
-:-:- David K. Gasaway
-:-:- XNS  : =David K Gasaway