[vorbis] what quality ?

Aleksandar Dovnikovic aldov at EUnet.yu
Wed Apr 17 11:36:48 PDT 2002

"Craig Dickson" <crdic at pacbell.net> wrote:

> Sure, but that's probably because most self-described "audiophiles" are
> too busy investing in green felt-tip markers to consider the possibility
> that a perceptual codec might actually create files that the human ear
> cannot distinguish from the source material.

Don't underestimate the human ear. I know that some audiophiles could
be considered pathological cases when it comes to quality, but some of them
really have the ears to notice small changes in audio quality. All you need is
good hearing, lots of training and quality equipment. Lossy codec is just that,
lossy - it can sound very close compared to original, but don't expect that
no one will be able to distinguish the difference...