[vorbis] what quality ?

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Wed Apr 17 11:26:46 PDT 2002

Craig Dickson wrote:
> > Heh, I have yet to find an audiophile that will even consider using
> > some lossy codec, let alone -q4.99 :-)))
> Sure, but that's probably because most self-described "audiophiles" are
> too busy investing in green felt-tip markers to consider the possibility
> that a perceptual codec might actually create files that the human ear
> cannot distinguish from the source material.

I can ABX 14-16/16 music at -q 4.99 *if* the original has a very rich
stereo picture (i never managed to ABX any -q 5 or higher). There are
people that can ABX at much higher quality levels, so I tend not to
judge any quirky Hi-Fi voodooby its strangeness. Even if it involves
painting CDs with felt-pens. I simply can't hear the difference, and
99.9% of the rest of the world might not be able to, either. But this
doesn't mean that there can't be anybody who actually hears a
difference.

This example is a dangerous one since it really sounds like a rip-off. I
lack the technical and physical knowledge whether such practice actually
improves the reflective capabilities of CDs or not, and therefore
reduces those minimal read errors that I can't hear anyways. Because of
that, I can't do more than stand back and think to myself "Go ahead, I
won't stop you.". ;)

People percieve sound that individually that judging or making fun of
anybodys hearing capabilities (no matter whether it's extraordinary good
or bad) is totally pointless.