[vorbis] what quality ?

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Wed Apr 17 07:43:13 PDT 2002

gabor wrote:
> what quality is recommended to encode to for cd quality?

I'd say the best level would be the one where you can't hear a
difference to the original anymore. Maybe you want to add 0.5 to that to
be safe, just in case your hearing improves/is trained a bit with time.

> i mean, for mp3, i used to encode to 128kb/s ( maybe it's a bit low..

Depending on what mp3 encoder you're used to, you might want to check
out -q values between 2 and 4.

In another mail you ask about the lossless stereo treshold. It's -q 5.
Here, bitrates jump up a bit because the stereo picture will be
complete.

I use -q 5 for my music, because my hearing is most sensitive in stereo
degration and temporal artifacts like pre-echo. Pre-echo is no problem
for Ogg Vorbis, which is why my favorite is the lowest possible -q with
lossless channel coupling.