[vorbis] Re: encoding bitrates, different machines...

Ed Sweetman ed.sweetman at wmich.edu
Thu Apr 11 06:58:48 PDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-04-11 at 09:14, Jernej Simonèiè wrote:
> Hello Hugo,
>
> 11. april 2002, 9:13:53, you wrote:
>
> > Note the big difference in bit rate... both is RC3. My best guess at the
> > moment is that the former was with a -b setting while the latter was
> > with a -q setting. I usually do everything at -q, but it might be that I
> > forgot to do so with the former.
>
> Of course there is difference if you compressed one set of files with
> -q and the others with -b. I remember seeing a bitrate graph shortly
> after rc3 was released of the same track encoded with -b and -q. While
> the -b graph was more or less around the average bitrate, the av.
> bitrate in the last third of track encoded with -q was almost twice the
> av. bitrate of the first part of track.

What you see with -b is a more conservative VBR.  Everything is closer
to the abr chosen.  This can be seen from
http://safemode.homeip.net/vbr-abr.png .  What it shows is that both
come out to the same average bitrate, but by choosing -b you get a much
more conservative vbr output than by choosing -q.  If -q is not buggy
and performs really good, then no, -b will not produce a file that
sounds any better than -q, almost all the time it will produce a file
that sounds worse at the same abr assuming you can tell the difference
anyway.

o -b is abr, rc4 will introduce cbr and -q is vbr. All filesizes being
equal and the vbr routine not having any bugs, -q will always produce
the best file.

I assume that -b automagically chooses stereo settings depending on the
difficulty compared to it's abr in which case it would be the same as -q
if the resulting abr is the same.