[vorbis] re-encoding on the fly?

Chris Nuccitelli slothdog at xmission.com
Thu Apr 11 12:34:15 PDT 2002

I've written up a nice streaming jukebox so I can listen to my mp3's and ogg's
from anywhere with a net connection.  I even got it set up so you can re-encode
mp3's on the fly by calling lame and using stdout as the output.  I've found a
program ( http://www.inf.ufpr.br/~rja00/ogg.html ) called ogg2ogg which
basically is oggenc combined with oggdec, allowing you to re-encode an ogg to a
lower bitrate and send the output to stdout.  However, it doesn't seem to work
as well as its lame counterpart.  (Winamp will connect and get an HTTP 200/OK
response, then stop.)

Given this vague description, does anyone see a problem with this scheme?  Is
it even possible to stream incomplete ogg files that are still in the process
of being encoded?