[vorbis] Vorbis rate and bitrate.

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Tue Apr 9 11:18:47 PDT 2002

> I was wondering myself. What I hear, in RC4 this limitation will be
> lifted.

Yes. RC4 will have full bitrate management.  At least that was the plan
just after the RC3 release.  I haven't heard anything from Monty that
suggests otherwise.

>(It wasn't there in RC2 either.) It's got something to do with a
> new way of fixed rate encoding in RC3.

RC2 didn't have fixed rate encoding, only vbr.  RC3 added fixed rate
encoding for 44.1kHz input.  VBR still works for any input in RC3.

THe confusion is caused by the fact that -b used to trigger VBR
encoding, but now triggers bitrate management.  The next oggenc we
release will give you a big warning when you use -b.  And it won't let
you use it at all unless you also use --managed, or something like that.
I think CVS oggenc already does this.

I hope this clears things up.

jack.