[vorbis] Vorbis rate and bitrate.

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Tue Apr 9 10:41:12 PDT 2002

Nicu Pavel wrote:
> I want to encode at 64kbps at a 22050 rate ... this is not possible ... why?
> For me it seems a waste of cpu to encode at 64kbps with 44100 sample
> rate (of course I might be wrong :).
> I saw in the vorbisenc.c that aprox_bitrate_to_vbr returns -1 to every
> sample rate that is not > 42000 ... is this safe to change ?

I assume you are referring to 1.0RC3.

Your 22050 Hz sample will encode nicely with the -q 0 switch. Bitrate
management (-b, -m and -M switches) works only with files of 44100
sample rate. Increase the -q value until you reach your 64kbps on that
specific sample, this will significantly improve the sound quality (I
find Ogg starting to sound ok at -q 1 and higher, but -q 0 isn't really
nice. Yet. It's just impressive compared to MP3 at the moment. :) ).

Note that Vorbis isn't yet tuned for the lower sample rates. You might
get even better sounding results at 44.1kHz.