[vorbis] YANS: [was?/is?: Tag changes]

HJ inzanekaoz at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 8 21:38:01 PDT 2002

YANS: Yet Another Silly Idea

The discussion about tags seems to me to be getting a little silly.
>From my 'newbie' perspective on tag formats, it seems to me that all
tags are arbitrary. I mean, sure, you could add a 'your player
should support this tag in this format', but really, it comes down
to consistency on the Encoder's (person that encoded the file) part
in how to number things. Also, with a growing(?) number of Vorbis
players by a variety of different organizations (including
individuals), getting everyone to impliment something precisely the
right way is difficult at best. Even then, tagging is still very
much manual, and to err is human. Typos could defeat the entire
thing anyway, unless I'm totally misunderstanding the situation
here.

Anyway, onto silliness:
The discussion also got me thinking about collections, .omc (Ogg
Music Collection) if you will. Essentially Ogg/Vorbis, but where
Vorbis streams are /sequential/ and not simultanious. It could be a
strain on resources, especially those players that want to load
everything off-disk up-front, but say...

MyOwnCD.omc
.----------
S1 ==========
              S2=========
                           S3------

6 streams in the .omc (first two 'S'ections stereo, 3rd mono), laid
out something like that.

Why go through all the trouble, especially with seek-bar issues and
inability (as of yet?) to use 'track forward/track back' keys to
seek to the next -embedded- Vorbis? Heck if I know, stretch the Ogg
format? Ogg seems to me to be quite flexible in what it transports,
so why not exploit it if you're absolutely adamant about keeping
like-files together in some manner of native format?

~HJ