[vorbis] Visual Studio .NET

Daniel Vogel vogel at epicgames.com
Wed Apr 17 15:06:56 PDT 2002

> I'm more or less the only one with a full time windows machine who cares
> about such things in the core group.

Please send me an email with your shipping address.

> are we now in a position where we have to supply _two_ versions?

You should be able to test that soon ;)

> to do:
>
> #pragma <set struct alignment here>
> #include <vorbis/codec.h>
> #unpragma

Then you have to educate the developer and (s)he has the burden of doing it
in a portable way.

> in the header, that it makes a lot of work for someone who wants to
> change it.

The point is that you can't change it if you use precompiled libraries that
have a different alignemnt! We use a maximum alignment restriction of 4 byte
so I can either wrap the header files with pragma packs's or recompile
vorbis with /Zp4 (VC or icc). In an ideal world the vorbis headers should
ensure in some way (including the pack stuff in the header) or another
(padding) that they won't cause random memory corruption. It doesn't really
matter for the customer as we wrap the include statements - what matters is
the released binaries being incompatible with our stuff :)

> problem on any other system? :)

Both gcc and VC default to a maximum alignment of 8 byte.