[vorbis] Tag changes

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Tue Apr 9 17:00:28 PDT 2002

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 04:51:21PM -0700, David Gasaway wrote:
>Why are you making all of these format/parsing rules?  If you want
>better parsing, make a new tag.  The way you're working this, you're
>obviously combining two distict pieces of information: ${num} and ${name}.

I see no problem with adding a new tag when it is beneficial.  But your
proposed PARTNUMBER tag has some problems, and I don't see a clear
benefit compared to using the current definition of the PART tag.
The main problem is that you require that it only be used when there is
a single PART tag in the Ogg.  When a problem is solved by a simple
alphabetical sorting rule, why do you want to complexify things with
a tag that sometimes can be there, and sometimes cannot?  Right now
all tags can be used at all times.  I don't think you've given a
compelling reason to change that.

>Besides, weren't you just arguing that changes shouldn't be made just
>for the sake of machine parsability?

I changed my mind.  Obviously Monty isn't opposed to some parsability;
why should I be?  Human readable doesn't mean machine unparseable.  But
I recognize it's a slippery slope.  Don't try to push me further down
it. :-)

Since I last posted, I've clarified the wording of the PART, DATE, GENRE
definitions and clarified the relationship of this standard to the
official Vorbis comment field specification. Please check it out at the
website.

Jonathan

http://reactor-core.org/ogg-tag-standard.html

--
                     Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   djw at reactor-core.org
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2