[vorbis] Unreal Tournament 2003

chad chad at analogself.com
Fri Apr 5 23:11:28 PST 2002

On Saturday, April 06 2002, Andreas Karlsson said:

> At 20:12 2002-04-05 -0500, you wrote:
> >Orpheus isn't an Epic employee though Mark Rein is our vice president.
> >Anyways, the Unreal Engine has been using Ogg Vorbis for streaming music for
> >almost a year now I think.
> >
> >-- Daniel, Epic Games Inc.
>
> This is certenly good news. If Epic decides to use Ogg in Unreal others
> will follow.
> I´m quite sure that the new Unreal Engine will be used (under licence) in
> other games
> just like the other Unreal Engines (Unreal Tournament) has been used. But I
> guess
> the soundsystem can be replaced for something other. And the soundsystem is
> probably not hardcoded into the engine.
> Ah, well. A big leap forward for our favourite soundformat. :)
>
> //Andreas Karlsson

With an in-game player, dont forget that it will also encourage the _Users_
to use their own oggs<vorbis> as well. This is 'one more person' using oggs
for a reason other than just "Because they should." (: All these users will
likely care about is "how to make and use oggs for use with UT 2003."

I know after playing one net FPS for long enough, I :had: to create my own score.
I currently use a software ogg player, but that leaves me unable to control it
while playing. If I use a stream, it can even crap out durning heavy game use.

-=C=-

"float like a butterfly and sting like a bee" --Mohammed Ali