[vorbis] comments+tags CD data

Josh Coalson j_coalson at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 28 17:03:39 PDT 2001

--- rillian <rillian at telus.net> wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 26, 2001, at 02:58 , John wrote:
>
> >> I was wondering if there is a standised way of recording the CDDA
> >> database number (the information stored on a CD to help look up
> the CDs
> >> details on the net)in the tags?
>
> We originally recommended (informally) CDDBID, But given gracenote's
> nastiness ('CDDB' is trademarked in the us) FREEDBID seems a better
> name
> for that hash.
>
> Storing the disc toc unhashed is an interesting idea, since there are
> several schemes for computing identifiers. DISCID strikes me as a
> poor
> name for that, though. I'd probably use something like DISCTOC or
> CDTOC.

yeah, CDDB is a bad hash for generating primary keys.  the
up-and-comer I think is:

        http://www.cdindex.org/disc.html

theirs uses more TOC data and a longer key (160 bits) than
CDDB which drastically reduces the chance for collisions.
I use a minor improvement on that for cataloging my own
collection (source available for the interested).

the safest thing is probably to invent a standard for
storing the whole TOC; it is actually not that much
data.  then you can generate any key on demand.

Josh