[vorbis] retrieving "instant" bitrate without vo_open?

volsung at asu.edu volsung at asu.edu
Sat Sep 22 18:23:18 PDT 2001

On Sat, 22 Sep 2001, safemode wrote:

> All i need to do is traverse the entire bitstream, take each packet and look
> at it's individual bitrate.  Can i do this without vo_open or is there a way
> to use vo_open and the ogg functions i've listed above ?  I'm not aware of
> any way to set the vorbis_file struct to the current packet without at least
> using vo_open and doing that ruins the ogg functions in my tests.

You might want to take the code from ogginfo (in the vorbis-tools
package).  It does exactly what you describe, but throws away each vorbis
packet after it is extracted from the Ogg bitstream.  Insert your bitrate
checking code where you see the comment:

/* Normally we would do decode here, but we're just checking
   packet integrity */

---
Stan Seibert