[vorbis] fake stereo

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Mon Sep 10 16:15:32 PDT 2001

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Craig Dickson wrote:

> It would be nice if oggenc had a --mono switch that would cause it to
> simply throw away the right channel and generate a mono vorbis file
> using the left channel only. Or by adding the two CD channels together,
> if that might be preferable for some arcane digital-audio reason.

Well, I personally think that a switch to generate a mono file from the sum
of all channels is a good thing to have.  It would save you from having to
run a file through sox just to do this, particularly good if you want to do
it on the fly for streaming in mono, for example.  It would also be nice to
have an encode left or right channel only option.  Of course, it'd be
better if it could be expressed in such a way to make it compatibal with
multichannel input, but I can't think of a good way of doing this.

Geoff.