[vorbis] Best way to convert a whole mp3 collection??

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Sun Sep 2 21:34:30 PDT 2001

> i wanna convert my whole mp3 collection (~20 gigs, of mp3s ranging from
> 96kbps to 256kbps) to ogg.
> I want to make sure that i dont LOSE any quality from the high bitrate
> tracks,
> but i dont want to waste space on lowbitrate tracks, by encoding them too
> high.
> PLUS id like to somehow automate this whole job, because i dont feel like
> doing it by hand.
>
> can someone give me some guidelines,  as to what bitrate in mp3 is
> equivalent in sound quality to a bitrate in ogg?

This is a very BAD thing to do, as already pointed out several times on
the list and everywhere else, too, I guess. :) You will lose quality in
ANY case, because Vorbis has its own rules of deciding what data to
throw out and what to keep than MP3. Even the highest bitrates with
Vorbis will degrade quality (not audible any more, I guess - but this
corrupts the meaning of saving diskspace with .ogg).

Best thing to do is to take a deep breath and live with the MP3s as they
are and go on with OGGing your new music from now on ... this saves you
ages from reencoding and you won't lose quality. (The effort of
reencoding 20+GB alone, seen from a financial viewpoint, saves you money
worth a 75GB harddisk :P )

Moritz