[vorbis] SSSCA

Reuben Martin reuben at fishB8.dns2go.com
Wed Sep 26 07:22:31 PDT 2001

This may not directly be a vorbis topic, but it could have some VERY serious
implications for open source development. I read this morning on the doom9
site about the "Security Systems Standard and Certification Act." I not a
lawyer so I'm just going by doom9's interpretation. Here's an excerpt from
doom9:

"Should it pass kiss your rights as a consumer by bye. As a side effect any
open source software will effectively become illegal as well as the DRM
management all devices will have to integrate will certainly be proprietary
and can therefore not be implemented into open source software."

Has anybody here already seen this? If there are any legal experts here,
could you take a look at the actual draft and see if Open Source is actually
in danger from this act?  http://cryptome.org/sssca.htm

-Reuben