[vorbis] retrieving "instant" bitrate without vo_open?

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Sat Sep 22 21:38:31 PDT 2001

>> You want to use mostly libogg, plus two or three functions from libvorbis.
>> You need to read in each packet in order (see the ogg docs or maybe
>> decoder_example.c for how to do this). Then, instead of actually decoding
>> the packet, use vorbis_packet_blocksize() to get the size (in samples) of
>> the packet (see vcut or vorbiscomment for an example of how to use these).
>
>Is none of this documented on the xiph site?  i cant find anythnig but ov
>functions and some structures.  ?

All the ogg stuff is fully documented. The vorbis parts aren't, but there's
very clear example code for most of it (vorbis_packet_blocksize() was added
recently, and isn't used by any examples, though).

>i'm reading through the headers now but what type is packet?  ogg_packet has
>bytes and ogg_page has body_len .

Sorry, was a slight error on my part there - I meant packet->bytes for the
length. It's an ogg_packet.

Michael