[vorbis] uploading listening samples?

David Balazic david.balazic at uni-mb.si
Thu Sep 6 06:12:39 PDT 2001

Marshall Eubanks (tme at 21rst-century.com) wrote :

> >> IIRC anything under 30 seconds is ok.
> >
> >So, in other words, it would be ok to put up a whole song, as long as
> >it's split into 30 second segments ? ;)
> >
> The 30 second rule is to allow clips for promotional
> and related purposes.
> So, no, I do not think it would be.

The law ( US law ) does not say anything about any 30 second limit.

Here is ( an fair use :-) ) excerpt from http://www.loc.gov/copyright/fls/fl102.pdf :

Section 107 contains a list of the various purposes for which the reproduction of a
particular work may be considered “fair,” such as criticism, comment, news reporting,
teaching, scholarship, and research. Section 107 also sets out four factors to be considered
in determining whether or not a particular use is fair:
(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial
nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;
(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted
work as a whole; and
(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted
work.

-- end excerpt --

So using that song ( in part or whole ) for vorbis research and development is
pretty fair, if you ask me, especially if only monty gets a copy.

I am not a lawyer !

--
David Balazic