[vorbis] new ogg stream

Erik Kruus kruus.erik at uqam.ca
Wed Sep 5 18:47:39 PDT 2001

The stuff I did last year poking holes in the vq lattices makes me
*guess* you might be able to peel around ~20% before things got
unbearable.  (One may do better, they are different in what 'bits'
get 'thrown away').  When you talk about halving the bitrate, you probably
need a retuned psy model, and to hit 32k, I think it will require
post-1.0 work on the core algorithms... Unless the peelable stream is
generated by only adding bits to the low-bitrate stream.  But vorbis'
peeling is more of an "incidentally-it-might-sound-OK" type rather than
"constructed-to-sound-reasonable" type as far as I understand.

Erik.