[vorbis] uploading listening samples?

volsung at asu.edu volsung at asu.edu
Wed Sep 5 16:13:14 PDT 2001

On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Michael L. Flegel wrote:

> I've been encoding my CD collection with mostely great results. However,
> there is the oddball that doesn't sound as it should (mostely I get flanging
> effects on high-frequency sounds like cymbals). I've seen people upload
> samples and post it here so that the developers might have a look at them.
>
> Now I don't have any online space. Is there an ftp site or something I can
> upload samples to? Or is this even wanted?

I don't know of anything formal.  If you just need a place to put a problem
sample temporarily, I'm willing to hold them on my box's webserver.  It's on
nearly all the time and has quite a bit of bandwidth.

If people need to do this, stop by #vorbis on irc.openprojects.net and look
for me (volsung).  You can /dcc the sample to me there.

In the long run, it would be neat if we had a bugzilla-like system for
tracking samples.  But someone would have to write it.  Volunteers?

> Also, what about copyright issues? Anything I have to watch out for there?

I have no idea about this.  So far, people have just been sending short
samples to Monty mostly.  He's not putting them on Napster, so I don't think
anyone has worried about the legal issues.  :)

---
Stan Seibert