[vorbis] I hate myself for asking this, but...

Per Wigren wigren at home.se
Tue Sep 4 05:45:40 PDT 2001

I'm going to encode ~2000 CDs soon. All genres, but 90% of it has distorted
guitars... Everything from punkrock to metal to industrial to goth to
synthpop to classical to techno to whatever...

I've heard that RC2 has some hearable artifacts, even in 192/256 kbps...
There have been quite a few "bugreports" since RC2 with people sending
samples that even I can differ from the original wavs. That makes me doubt if
it is worth doing it now. Also I don't want to wait too long. Is RC3 anywhere
near a release? Is there a cvs-snapshot (I know that the current cvs is
unusable) that has all known bugs fixed in the high (192/256) bitrates that I
can use instead?

I usually don't bitch about releases, I promote the "it's done when it's
done" and "contribute or shut up" attitudes more than most people, but I
REALLY want to start the mass-encoding as soon as possible, because it will
take quite a long time...  If I had the diskspace I would save them as FLAC,
together with a description-file and encode them later, but I "only" have
~150GB of diskspace, which is nowhere near enough for that...

Regards
Per Wigren