[vorbis] Encoder signature question

mike wakerly mike-list at wakerly.com
Sun Sep 2 21:11:13 PDT 2001

Hello All,

Quick question here... I've been playing with the last few releases (and
am very much impressed, of course!) and have encoded a number of files.
Yet, I wonder if there is a way for me to check some information about
how the file was encoded. Specifically, I'd like to know:

        - app that encoded it (probably oggenc for now, but what if XYZ
inc's encoder is notoriously lousy?)
        - library release version (Right now, I can't quite tell which file
was made with Beta 4, etc..)
        - stereo coupling options? (this must be there somewhere, but
explicitly?)

I am guessing some (or all) of these parameters might be buried
somewhere in the files, just not visible with ogginfo. Some sort of
reliable encoder signature containing this information would be very
useful for tracking poor quality, etc, that happened at the encode level.

Thanks!
Mike