[vorbis] [ANN] vorbismodule 0.0b

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ignacio at openservices.net
Sun Sep 2 20:42:43 PDT 2001

Well, I've slaved and toiled for two days straight, gone almost without sleep,
and nearly had my brain explode, and what do I have to show for it? The new
version of the Python (http://www.python.org/) module for reading and
_writing_ Ogg Vorbis files!

What is it?
-----------

  It is a Python (http://www.python.org/) module that emulates the native wave
    and sunau interface for Ogg Vorbis encoded files.

Where can I get it?
-------------------

  http://ignacio.openservices.net/devel/vorbis-0.0b.tar.bz2

What do I need for it?
----------------------

  You need a version of Python greater than or equal to 1.5.2 from
    http://www.python.org/download/.

What's new in it?
-----------------

  - Latin-1 characters in comment values are now decoded

  - Now able to _write_ Ogg Vorbis files with bit-widths of 8, 16 or even _24_
      bits!

  - Even easier configuration for installation

What's still wrong with it?
---------------------------

  - The last little bit (about 3000 samples) of a song is cut off when
      encoding (Boo! Hiss!)

  - No Unicode support for Python 2.x yet for comment values

  - Still only tested under Linux (testers for other OSes, please come
      forward!)

Who wrote it?

  Why, me of course!

--