[vorbis] Best way to convert a whole mp3 collection??

Robert Guthrie robmail at guthrie.dhis.org
Sun Sep 2 20:33:43 PDT 2001

Hey guys.. ive been following the vorbis project for a year or more now...
its nice to see its come so far with rc2.
anyway....

i wanna convert my whole mp3 collection (~20 gigs, of mp3s ranging from
96kbps to 256kbps) to ogg.
I want to make sure that i dont LOSE any quality from the high bitrate
tracks,
but i dont want to waste space on lowbitrate tracks, by encoding them too
high.
PLUS id like to somehow automate this whole job, because i dont feel like
doing it by hand.

can someone give me some guidelines,  as to what bitrate in mp3 is
equivalent in sound quality to a bitrate in ogg?

sorry if i sound demanding or something, i diddnt mean to do that..
(i think prehaps the no hype style of the vorbis website (which i normally
tend to like), has made it difficult to find some information...)