[vorbis] vorbis players (or lack of) for mac

dongoodman deg3 at msstate.edu
Tue Oct 30 19:41:28 PST 2001

On Tuesday, October 30, 2001, at 05:49  PM, Håvard Kvålen wrote:

>>> Egads, man! I didn't realize it was that bad, large or small! Viva
>>> Vorbis!
>>
>> me neither. check it: http://www.mp3licensing.com/royalty/index.html
>> how does XMMS deal with this?
>
> The mp3 patent holders has always said that they don't enforce the
> patents on «freeware» decoders.  This is not mentioned on
> mp3licensing.com, but there has been no sign that they have changed
> their mind either.
>
> <URL:http://www.mpeg.org/MPEG/mp3-licensing.html>

interesting. looks like I maybe contacting thier legal dep't...and writing
code in such a way that the mp3 decoder can be ripped out in a moments
notice. whee, fun.
thanks for the tip!

have fun
dongoodman

     |`I invented the term 'object oriented',              pobox 2516|
     |and I can tell you                         mississippi state ms|
     |I did not have C++ in mind.'                              39762|