[vorbis] Some simple Q's about Vorbis...

rillian rillian at telus.net
Mon Oct 29 18:07:57 PST 2001

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001 20:01:50 -0500 Nicholas Pappas <nick at rightstep.org> wrote:

>  For the class, I need to locate 3 streaming media types and answer the
> following questions:
> 		Does it use Meta files?
> 		Does it use UDP or TCP?
> 		Is RTP and/or RTSP used?

That's pretty accurate, except I don't know what you mean by 'Meta files'. There is a simplistic metadata header as part of vorbis. It just does key-value pairs. There are plans for a more comprehensive metadata format, but they're still at the design stage.

Vorbis is an audio codec that produces packets. The standard implementation packs those packets into an Ogg bitstream (hence 'Ogg Vorbis'). Ogg provides framing, sync, rough seek and multiplexing capabilities and is intended for disk storage and TCP streaming.

There's also a project to send vorbis packets over RTP. See http://xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/doc/draft-moffitt-vorbis-rtp-00.txt for the format and 'libvorbisrpt' in the list archives for a sample implementation currently under development. I don't know if RTSP is implemented or not. The primary intention with libvorbisrtp is multicast, so it does SDP. Shouldn't be hard to add, of course.

Hope that helps,
 -r