[vorbis] Decoder speed: Test on slow machine

Peter Schuller peter.schuller at infidyne.com
Sun Oct 14 13:52:11 PDT 2001

> I only did some MP3 tests with 128 Kbit/s files. No problem. There even
> was enough CPU power to keep the Winamp-GUI alive - and simple
> Visualization. The Windows-Tool "Systemmonitor" (It may be
> called different in non-localized Windows-versions) showed

(task manager)

> about ~50% CPU-usage without Visualization.
> Playback of 192 Kbit/s MP3 files could be possible.

As you've said, the performance of mp3 decoders vary. I do know that on
several P60s decoding a 128 kbit MP3
with mpg123 in Linux was tough. It worked, but if you did anything else with
the machine it fell behind.

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com>'
Key retrival: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey at scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller at infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org