[vorbis] Re: Metadata format

rillian rillian at telus.net
Tue Oct 2 23:31:59 PDT 2001

On Tuesday, October 2, 2001, at 10:20 , volsung at asu.edu wrote:

> Addendum to this.  Further inspection of the Musicbrainz site suggests
> that
> they too are still in the process of standardizing their metadata
> spec.  So
> there are no gobs of data to import yet.  :(

Thanks heavens. The format needs some work. :)

They do have a lot of basic data, iirc.The catalog format could be
smarter. In the past Rob's been quite responsive to comments in this
direction. It's also no clear how to extend the scheme to film/video. I
guess I should sit down and work up some suggestions. I heartily agree
we should try our best to use the same format for all the reasons you've
stated.

The part I'm less clear on is how to write out the data. MusicBrainz
does have an xml exchange format, somewhat based on rdf. You can query
their db for it over the web and they have published code to parse it. I
was never very happy with the way they did that. I favored a more
relational structure to the xml, but Rob wanted something linear. There
are people working on generalized exchange formats for metadata, but so
far none of them seem to have come to fruition. Maybe it's time to stop
waiting.

Finally, there's how to integrate this in the ogg stream. How the page
interleave works will pretty much work itself out along with the other
multiplexing code. There are a couple of options for packetization. It's
possible to break xml up so that a lost packet (outside the header/tail)
doesn't break parsing. We could also just put everything in one packet.
It's also been argued that something besides xml be used, maybe based on
text vectors like the vorbis comment headers.

Well, maybe volsung said all this already, but there's my state of
thinking too. New input, anyone?

  -r