[vorbis] vorbis players (or lack of) for mac

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Tue Oct 30 01:56:36 PST 2001

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 09:57:29PM -0600, dongoodman wrote:
> frankly, i'm rather tired of the lack of free ogg vorbis players for Mac
> OS;

There's Mint and Audion, but they're shareware rather than free.  xmms
and ogg123 have been successfully compiled on OS X.

> So, I'm going to spend the next year or so in what little spare time I
> have working on a GPL'd vorbis player for Mac OS X. First: any interest in
> this here on the group?

Yes.  My preference would be for a plugin for iTunes, cos even if iTunes
has a shoddy interface it is out there already, and in any case, I dislike
the interfaces of ALL the audio players I've used on ALL platforms and I
doubt yours would be any different :-)

>                          Second: what features would be important to y'all.

Gotta support all known bit-rates, gotta support streaming as well as
playing files.

   Perl may be the best solution for processing a text
   file, but asking a group of Perl Mongers clearly isn't
                                                  -- aef, in #london.pm